Sunday, November 9, 2008

The game that i love...

Hey guys! So the rest of this week (after I created this blog) I was trying to figure out what I should write about! Call it writers block if you want, I just couldn't think of something to write!

Then last night it hit me! 

I was on my way to my uncle's place for dinner, and my heart was humming, my brain was buzzing and I had the world's widest grin on my face! 

Why you ask...

This is my reaction to the team I support winning a big match! What game you ask...

F.O.O.T.B.A.L.L!

The reason I wanted to write about it is sort of weird. You wouldn't understand it if you weren't a crazy football fan! The reason I wanted to write about this is because it is really absolutely impossible to put down in words the pure, concentrated emotions that the game can invoke in a fan. The reason I wanted to write this is because if your are a football fan you understand my loss for words and totally get the tremendous high of you team winning, we hence share some sort of mutual understanding of each other! Don't get freaked out, I'm not some sort of stalker!

Yesterday's game was Arsenal vs. Manchester United. Now if you are one who follows the English Premier League, you'd know that Arsenal weren't going into this game with the best of records - losing to Stoke, Fulham and Hull this season! I was preparing myself for an Arsenal loss, not only were they in this inexplicable slump, they were also missing key players! I was tense. I kept telling myself they are going to lose, but I couldn't help hoping that they could actually pull off a win! That's when it struck me. I said to myself - "Damn! I'm so bloody dedicated to this team... I can NEVER see myself supporting another team!" And it's so true!!! It almost made me feel totally helpless because there was this unbreakable bond tying me to Arsenal and there was nothing I could do about it! Yes, I know you think my parents should seriously think about sending me to a psych! But I'll tell you what I told them - "You just don't get it!"

Well if you watched the game, you know how it ended. If you watched the game, you know it was a treat for any football fan no matter which team you support! There are about 4 times similar to yesterday that I remember with absolute precision - they are some of my most treasured memories not only because of the wins, but because I've always had friends I frantically message or call and we have such a great time bonding over those 90 minutes! 

So to me, football is so much more than just a game. It makes you understand the bizarre things people do and it gives you an opening to escape from the claws of reality!



No comments: