Thursday, April 1, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon proves Animated movies are the best genre!

I'll say it again! I'll never get tired of Animated movies! Yes, there are those which aren't great, but of late every single animated movie I've seen is just AWESOME! And How To Train Your Dragon is no exception to that rule! I'll admit when I saw posters of the movie it looked slightly lame. But it had gotten RAVE reviews on Rotten Tomatoes so I gave it a chance and watched the trailer, which really did it!
What is the movie about? It revolves around a village - Berk, which, like all human communities, has its share of problems. However, Berk, unlike other human communities, is plagued by what we in the real world would consider "mythical creatures" a.k.a - Dragons! As protagonist and narrator Hiccup says - "most other people would leave, but not us, we're vikings, we have "stubborness" issues!". Like everyone in the village, Hiccup wants to slay dragons. But from the beginning we all know that he's not going to follow the band-wagon and he is going to do something outrageous!
Hiccup is your quintessential loser who becomes the hero and saves the day. He unwittingly wreaks havoc and there are many amusing jibes at his character in the first part. What is so appealing about his character is that he wants to be a tough guy but the audience knows from the very beginning that's not really what he is! In addition, the script is full of good jokes and the voice cast is pretty great!
The animation is great, I'm sure the movie is a BILLION times better in 3-D. Now, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that How To Train Your Dragon is going to win next years Oscar for Best Animated. I know it's too early to make such lofty claims, but I was dead sure Up would win same time last year and I was right!
The best thing about this movie is that its theme is - don't judge a book by its cover, which is sort of what I did initially with this movie. The posters didn't look great but I gave it a chance and I loved it! So I hope that you will do the same! :)


No comments: